Thursday 28 August 2014

Happy Couple on my taxi



Who am I to point my finger to my boss. When the crowd ask Jesus what to do with the prostitute brought in front of him. Jesus said,"who is without sin throw the first stone". Everyone walks away after some soul searching.

Anyway, today's story is about a pair of happy couple

It is a hot Saturday, have been driving for 10 hours straight except toilet break. Time is around 9.30 pm at night, picked them up along Yishun Avenue 7 road side. The whole family is wearing traditional Malay dress, first came in the husband, wife and a little daughter around 4 years old sitting in the front.

They asked to go to Woodlands block 681. I am thinking to myself, ok, another $10 to pay for my petrol on the way home.

They started talking in the back. The voice is full of joy and happiness. The Malay man is trying to learn hokkien counting 1 to 10. When the wife starts to correct his accent, then I realise it is a Malay chinese couple. I look at the little girl, it has all the Chinese girl feature in a Malay costume. She smiles back at me with a happy look.

I did not catch the conversation at the back, just laughter of them enjoying each other's company. Still learning and adapting to each other's culture.

What makes such a deep impression on me is their respect for each other's background, religion and language. It is clear they make a extra effort to please and adapt. Being the chinese woman in Malay dress and Malay man learning Mandarin and Hokkien.

I let them off the Taxi with a smile on my face. This is what makes my day driving a taxi in Singapore.


Photo of me and wife 2010 at lower pierce reservoir.

1 comment: