Thursday 7 August 2014

Todayonline commentary on new taxi drivers

The Commentary is Written  BY  JASON TAN   jasontancc@mediacorp.com.sg   PUBLISHED: 4:03 AM, AUGUST 6, 2014

The link is here. Basically he lamented that new Taxi drivers of Singapore does not know the way or the building where he is going. You can read the full article below. 

http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/new-cabbies-need-more-rigorous-training?singlepage=true

Oh well, after being a Taxi driver after 6 months, I know how to get to mediacorps from Woodlands, City, Jurong and airport. All I need is to get on to PIE then get off Thomas road exit. But friend, during my first month as a driver, I have no clue.

As a Taxi driver, I get my fair share of FT screaming at me for not knowing how to get to Farrer drive etc. There was my first week of driving and she was in a hurry. We all need time to learn. After being on the road for 2 years, a taxi driver will be able to get you to most places quickly.

Why I put 2 year? When I used to train IT engineers for an MNC. That is the amount of time a junior engineer who just joined us, fresh from school, starting to learn the rope about hardware, software, networking and security design in a real world. Working in the real world cannot compare to any of the class room examinations. 2 years is about the time I have confidence to leave him alone to a site for level 1 and level 2 support.

What I am trying to say is, no amount of class room training will prepare you for the real world job. Same applies for Taxi drivers.

You can read an extract of his Article here below.

Also from those heart warming comments by fellow Singaporean. (extracts are below as well). There is still hope for Singapore being a gracious society.

I might be wrong. But this might be a typical classroom case of young scholars living in a ivory tower, being a scholar he knows everything and has solution for every problem in the world.



An Extract of his commentary





No comments:

Post a Comment