Sunday 13 July 2014

TIPS for a Taxi Driver

It is about nine o'clock at night. It is a hot saturday evening in Singapore. Sending a customer to cruise center at Harbour Front. After the old couple alights, a young man pulling along a  luggage approaches me.

"Üncle, can bring me to Orchard Road? I need to go 2 places?" He asked.

"OK" I waved him in after I check no security guards around.

He start telling me he is in a hurry. He needs to delivery item to 2 places, one in Jalan Bukit Merah and one in Orchard Tower. "Can you wait for me", he asked.

"I will keep the fare meter running." I answer beneath my breath. "Also you will need to pay up to the current fare". I am afraid he might be another fare cheat.

"Uncle, wait here, is that enough", he handed me 2 piece of $10 note. I nod.

And wait goes on for 30 minutes at Orchard Tower Taxi stand. Very lucky no enforcement officer tonight.

After he jump back into the cab, it was around 10.15pm. "Thank you Uncle for waiting. It is so difficult to catch a cab at this hour. I need to hurry back to cruise center to catch the last ferry back to Batam"

"How can I thank you? You help me so much." Thinking of all those time wasted waiting for him. I mutter you can give me tips if you appreciate my service.

We reach Harbour Front cruise center at 10.45 for him to jump on the last ferry. He gave me additional $30 on top of the fare. Then he ran into the ferry terminal.

It is one of those trips I keep on thinking what is in his luggage? What he is delivering? He must be making a decent profit to pay me that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment